Monday, November 10, 2008

ENTERTAINING YOUR FAMILY: Greek Dinner

Tucked away in the freezer I found a package of pre-marinated (stay tuned for a tip on that soon) chicken tenders. I had marinated them in lemon, olive oil and herbs for my daughter's first birthday a few months ago, and tossed the leftovers in the freezer. This last package must have been buried beneath the ground beef, as I thought we had consumed all the party leftovers weeks ago!

Anyway, considering I was going to be heading out shopping this past weekend, I added everything I would need to go Greek with the package of remaining raw chicken. Basic Greek that is. And by Greek I basically mean Greek Salad. That is my favourite part of the whole deal, and I make a pretty mean Greek Salad (if I do say so myself). I could have had just that for supper, but I also tossed in some roasted potatoes as I'm trying to balance my daughter's meals with all of the food groups, so I used the fingerling potatoes that I found while at the grocery store. The end result was refreshing, tasty, and a meal that was really easy to put together. At the end of the day it was simply grilled chicken from the freezer, a salad, and a side of potatoes, but it had just enough of a twist to keep it interesting and a change from the everyday.

Basic Greek Dinner
Grilled Lemon Marinated Chicken Breasts
Greek Salad
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Lemon and Garlic

Here is the recipe for the roasted potatoes as it corresponds to my recent "BUY" post on fingerlings. This is just one way you can cook them, but of course the possibilities are endless!

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Lemon and Garlic
1/2 pound fingerling potatoes, washed and scrubbed clean
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
zest of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
juice of half a lemon


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, and toss with garlic, olive oil, lemon zest and salt and pepper. Place potatoes in baking dish and roast for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and pour lemon juice over while potatoes are still warm. Serve.

No comments: