Friday, November 21, 2008

BUY: Whole Nutmeg

This is going to be a two part "buy" post. I really want you to buy whole nutmeg, but before you go and ask me what the heck to do with it, I'm also going to suggest you buy a micro grater if you don't already have one.

First of all, let me sing the praises of whole nutmeg. I was reminded how good it is because my husband bought a litre of eggnog last week. Nothing says "it's the holidays" like a nice glass of rum and eggnog (while we are on the topic of what to buy, I have to say only use dark or spiced rum in this drink - the white stuff just won't cut it here). And every good rum and eggnog needs a dusting of freshly ground nutmeg. Honestly - your drink will go from good, to out-of-this-world with this one simple step!Nutmeg is actually a seed. They aren't very big, and they are dark brown in colour by the time they are sold to market. They can be found in specialty food stores, and some bulk spice sections of the grocery store. In order to really enjoy the true pleasure that is fresh nutmeg, only grind the nutmeg as you need it.
Which brings me to the second part of my post. You'll need one of these:

If you don't have one already, these micro graters come in super handy for more than just nutmeg. I use it to zest lemons and limes, finely grate Parmesan or chocolate, and even ginger or garlic. I use it often. Weekly at least and it's a great tool. They aren't that expensive anymore either, and come in various shapes and sizes (though this style is my favourite).

So, when you make rum and eggnog this year, make it extra special with freshly grated nutmeg. It's a small pleasure, but once you've had it - you'll never go back to the old stuff again (not to mention your newly purchased seeds will last awhile so you won't even be tempted!).

1 comment:

Dee said...

I adore the smell & flavor of nutmeg. No eggnog or holiday custard could be complete without it. Lord bless the powers that invented the micro plane graters!