Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Entertaining Your Family: Smoothies! (Maman and Gourmand Smoothie/Shake Recipe Contest!)

So, fruit shakes are a "thing" right now. You can find them just about anywhere from a smoothie bar at a gym, to a large chain located in the local mall. They'll also blend just about anything you wish to mix with fruit and yogurt (protein powder, vitamins, grass-looking stuff - you name it). They'll also charge you. Alot.

Now these places are fantastic when you are on the go and need a snack that's not either full of sugar or deep fried. But, you can also make them yourself (and take them with you if you like when you are on the go) and it's easier than you think! We've been making fruit smoothies in our house for years, and ever since my daughter got into them when she was about a year old (she's almost two now), we've been making them several times a week at least. So, when I learned about a contest a fellow food blogger was hosting calling out for the best smoothie recipe, I figured this was perfect for me. I've gone through many "variations" of our smoothie recipe over the last few years, and I now figure I've got a pretty good one nailed (but of course...you be the judge). Below is the recipe and my tricks for the best ever smoothie. Then, starting May 11th, be sure to vote HERE if you like it...which you will...in fact you'll wonder how those "smoothie spots" even stay in business now that you (and I) are by far the ultimate smoothie makers!

So first off, here are the ingredients:
Pretty basic stuff, in a blender I add about a handful of ice, one banana, some juice, some frozen fruit, about a cup or so of yogurt, and some ground flax seed (shhh...don't tell anybody and they won't notice, trust me!)

But look a little closer, because the secret to the best smoothie is in this picture...I'm not sure if Oasis is purely Canadian or if it's available everywhere, but it is FANTASTIC stuff. A very dark, rich, fruit juice made from dark super fruits such as pomegranates, blueberries, and blackberries. Extremely high in antioxidants, vitamin C, and flavour, and extremely low in sugar and additives (actually there isn't any). On it's own it's not overly sweet, and taste like it's straight from the fruit itself. It's a little pricey (about $4 for this container), but totally worth it in my mind. Why? Well, because of this juice, I get all the nutrition and goodness from the dark berry fruit without all the little annoying pips! Yup, no seeds in this smoothie! To me this is huge. Smoothies of years past were chalk full of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries - super delicious and healthy no doubt, but I was picking seeds out of my teeth until lunch...at least. Not to mention it's totally not cool going into a business meeting with bits of raspberry stuck in your teeth. Now we use this as our juice base along with frozen mixed fruit (usually peaches, melons, pineapple, etc...) instead of berries. The result is an amazing smoothie. Truly. Just about every fruit you can imagine (and just about every vitamin too) in a deliciously smooth and silky texture. We love it. You will too.

Here's the exact recipe:

Party Designers Super Smooth and Healthy Fruit Smoothie
1 handful ice
1 large banana
1 cup yogurt (any kind will do - we use organic vanilla quite often)
2 - 3 cups frozen mixed fruit
1 tsp ground flax seed (optional)
2 - 3 cups good quality berry juice (such as Oasis Antioxia)

Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Start with about 2 cups of juice and add additional juice to desired consistency.

Makes about 5 -6 cups.

I didn't get a photo of the the finished product in the blender. These are so good that once my daughter hears that blender going, there isn't much time for foolin' around. But I did snap this...
And this... (that's a smile by the way - trust me - she drank the whole thing!). And, I also snapped this...my broken and cracked blender:Did I fail to mention that the winner of this contest will get a new blender? Well, um, they will. This one http://www.myhealthmaster.com/. And well, um, I need one. Bad. My daughter does too for that matter!

Win or lose of course I still think this is a great recipe that you and your family will really enjoy, so I still encourage you to make it, but I also encourage you to vote (for me) HERE!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flax seeds are a great healthy addition. Great smoothie!

Unknown said...

Great Job...I really think your daughter loved it. My daughter is scared of the blender...she covers her eyes lol

Teanna said...

I am obsessed with smoothies, but often try to make them at home because of all of the hidden calories! Yours looks so delicious and healthy!!! Your daughter looks like quite the happy girl!

Donna-FFW said...

This smoothie sounds both delicious and healthy.. a wining combination!

Lexie said...

This weekend I watched the whole info-commercial about the Health Master and almost bought it right then! It looks awesome!

I have never heard of Oasis, but I will have to start looking for it. Sounds delicious!

grace said...

wow, she really likes it! and why shouldn't she? it's chock-full of all kinds of good stuff. :)

Best hand blender said...

This Top 10 Best Hand Blender Reviews is simple in every sense – there’s only one attachment and speed, and it’s very easy to use. Although it doesn’t come with many extra parts, it does come with a small blending jug. It’s big enough to make a smoothie for one so would be great for someone on a budget who wants to make a liquid breakfast in the morning – the blender whizzed up a banana milkshake effortlessly. Unfortunately however, it’s not the most stable – we don’t recommend leaving the blender standing up in the jug as you're likely to end up with spilt milkshake (which is almost definitely worth crying over)